We biked around closer to home in the morning and he showed me where some members live. I've seen the streets so clearly in my mind and in my dreams all these years. Turns out my mind and my dreams aren't very reliable. Br. Scherf had the patience to reteach me what I once knew. So frustraiting. Why can't we just remember important things like...streets? We visited Zr. Scherf briefly at work. It had started raining by this time. And I mean, really raining. She looked on wilted, pathetic looking me and was filled with mercy. She let me borrow her rain coat which literally goes from forehead to foot. That - I should have gotten a picture of. It saved me! It rains so much here that I am convinced it is the ONLY way to go. And if I had it all to do over again, I would totally have worn it to Prom. It was blue and everything. The Dutch don't mess around.
Once we had our rain gear on, we biked into the city. We parked our bikes and strolled through narrow winding streets. I stared up at massive and overwhelmingly old buildings while Bro. Scherf explained their significance. It is such a beautiful city! At one point we came to the working palace. The Queen was there and an ambassador was visiting. There was a band and millitary guys out frount. Then the carriage pulled up with guards in front of and behind them. There was a drum roll and the ambassador was picked up. A whole procession followed them out. It was like a scene out of the movies.
We ate lunch in an open courtyard and talked about what we both have learned about life these last five years. We shared some of our experiences, trials and triumphs. He is strong and obedient and spiritual. He loves his family and the Lord more than anything else in this world. He is an amazing example to me.
Our next stop was the "Smallest house in Den Haag." How would you like living there? You reach your arms out and can touch both walls. It probably served as living space for the servents who looked after the rich families next door. I hope they were little people. Nothing like having your tummy touch all four corners of your house to make you feel great about yourself.
We continued our stroll and passed by the Vrede Palace. So pretty. Inside the couryard there is a church and a fountain and other things of this nature. You know, "palacey things."
We couldn't head home without an icecream cone! And with whipped cream on top. Hello. Chocolate and Hazelnut. Oh my heavens. Oh my goodnes. Yeah, that's what it was: pure goodness.
We stopped by a "Hof" which used to be for the sick and elderly. You go in through a main entrance and it opens up to this beautiful little shared flower garden area. There are a handful of appartments that all face in towards it. It was for safety and community. Very Quaint.
I jumped on a tram later that evening and headed towards Zoetermeer. Two sweet old ladies struck up a conversation with me. We started talking and one of them asked if I was from England. When I told her that I was from America she told me that she could hear it when I spoke. I told her how frustraiting it is to have an accent. She told me that she always wanted me to have it, that she thought it was really cute. Both ladies where very complementary of my Dutch. It made me feel good but if they wanted to have a medical dialog (or really anything more than a polite conversation that one would have on public transportation) they wouldn't have been so impressed. Turns out that one of them has a nephew who is the bishop of one of the wards here in Holland. We had a great little chat.
Later, I asked a lady for some help finding the right tram to switch over to. Five other people jumped into help. Okay, so maybe I am just imagining things but I think that people are nicer to me now as compared to when I wore the tag. Not imagining. They totally are. So now instead, I get to do undercover missionary work. I always wanted to be a secret agent. Life long dream - fulfilled.
I made it to the Tettero's alive and well helped. We had a really fun night together. Poor Petra was sick but she toughed it out for me. We ate dinner and then the kids had to head out. Petra and I had some one on one time and I got to hear just how wonderful their family is doing. She is so brave and just lights up the room. We laughed a lot. She is such a neat person. Marnix brought an entire family into the church. The parents and their two older children have been baptized. As soon as the youngest turns 8, she will too. Rosanne loves bringing all her friends to church too. Petra and Michel are so happy. They are so in love and are involved in all kinds of great things. I am so proud of them. It was incredible to see the difference that 5 years has made in their family and in them individually. I couldn't have imagined anything better for them. I love them!
Michel and I drove to the temple for the Stake Temple Night. This guy has got it together! He works so hard in his calling. We met up with Karina, Bro. Scherf, and Zr. van der Put. Apparently the night was cancelled. So we stood outside the temple and chatted for a long time then went out for icecream...again.
I can't put to words how amazing it was to stand outside of the temple with these two righteous, Priesthood holders. It would have been great to go inside with them but since the temple was closed we are planning another trip together. The point is, they are living worthy to enter. They are the kind of people that I want to become. They taught me a lot when I was working with them as a missionary but they continue to teach me now. It was such a neat day. I am so happy for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment