Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Looking Up

I spent a bunch of time downtown today.  I wandered alone through winding streets and got pulled into a massive moving group of humanity.  I listened and observed the people around me.  It is pretty easy to spot the tourists.  The clothes, language and mannerisims all help but I noticed one thing that set them apart more than anything else.  They were all Looking Up. 

As the Dutch peddled passed a historical site, a family from England stood with their mouths open (have you ever noticed that you have to open your mouth when you are looking up?  It's like your neck will rip right open if you don't) while taking in the ancient towers above them.  A group of three American women were pointing excitedly heavenward towards the bell tower an old church while a group of Dutch teenagers leaned against its walls and smoked. 

I know that I look American but I usually try to play the role of a normal Dutch citizen.  It's not because I don't love America.  GOD BLESS THE USA.  It's just that I don't want to stick out.  I don't want people to treat me differently.  I want to be a part of real life here.  But I realized as I was trying to sneak pictures (to avoid being The Tourist) just how dumb I was being.  I was looking, really looking at the beautiful buildings here.  They are awe-inspiring... yes, they inspire the "awe factor."  What is wrong with appreciating something beautiful?  Nothing.  Appreciating so much that you have to take a picture? Absolutely Nothing.

I also noticed that if you stand and stare long enough other people will too.  You give someone the gift of Looking Up.  It's not just a Dutch thing to get so wrapped up into where you are going or even where you are that you forget to Look Up.  The longer I live in a place the more callused I become to the postcard possibilities I'm surrounded by.  Today I made a decision.  I want to be a life long Tourist (awesome if that would include traveling but really, I just want to always appreciate where I am no matter how long I am there).  I never want to stop Looking Up.

Below, are some shots Looking Up (with more to come).

I think this guy is afraid of heights:






No comments:

Post a Comment