Monday, June 27, 2011

Time Warps & Wizards

Last Saturday I got to spend almost the entire day with one of my favorite people.  Wendy.  She is cute and sweet and funny and good.  And she likes to read as much as I do.  We met at the train station and went shopping.  For Books.  She was looking for good books in English and I was hoping to find something in Dutch.  Does that sound backwards to you?!  We walked arm in arm through piles of books talking, laughing, and catching up on the last five years.  She is one of those people that sees the world around her in a different light.  It was fun to walk in that different light together for just one day...well, that was the original plan.  She ended up staying the night with the Scherfs...who had us over for lunch...and then for dinner. 


It was almost like walking into a time warp.  Wendy and I have eaten so many meals together at the Scherfs.  Their house holds a lot of memories full of food, family and faith.  Bro. Scherf and Wendy took the missionary lessons around same time so it was a really neat support system.  We would all squeeze in around the table, eat and then dig into the gospel together.  I remember how good it always felt to walk into their home.  And now, it feels even better.

Later, Marije showed us some magic tricks.  Then, we all sat around playing cards.  We played a game kind of like Rich Man Poor Man.  We all know how bad I suck at that game in the States.  Turns out, I suck just as bad at it in the Netherlands. 

The food was tasteful.  As in full of good taste.  (Grandpa: I ate Sauerkraut. And I liked it!) 

The company was wonderful.

The shopping was bookful.  (I got Harry Potter en de Steen der Wijzen.  Yes, my Dutch will be amazing and wizardish by the time I'm done with all 7.)


Apparently, Harry Potter is even funnier in another language.  That or we couldn't hold our "we are very smart and know how to read" face for long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment