Sunday, June 5, 2011

Boxes & Erasers & Stuff

In less than 3 days I will be on a plane headed back to the Netherlands.  Today I attended church for the last time in English for I don't know how long.  Of course the closing Hymn was, "God Be With You Till We Meet Again."  My sweet, adorable, crazy niece Taylor was on my lap.  I hugged her tight and tried to make it through without totally falling apart. 

For the past two weeks I have lived with my sister Melissa and her family.  I can't begin to describe how much I love each of them.  Kendall and his brains (and Italian Sodas), Melissa and her selflessness, Connor and his Kung-Fu, Taylor and her too-big-for-her-body-sized-lungs, Hadley and her angelicness. 

With Kendall graduating (Yay!) and getting a job in Arizona (Doubly Yay) they are in the process of moving.  We are filling boxes and going through Magic Erasers like you wouldn't believe (They really are magical).  It has been interesting to see the decorations and fingerprints come off the walls.  It is an exciting step forward but a sad step away from all that they love.  "Stuff" is just "stuff" but in so many ways our belongings and the space the fill define who we are.  It holds stories and memories.  I am gratefull that Melissa and I are both going through this process together.  Is that selfish?  Most of what I own is in my parents basement (bless them for their never-ending patience with my nomadism).  The rest fits into exactly two suitcases, one backpack, and one yellow purse. 

Instead of hanging onto all of my STUFF that holds so many memories, I am letting it all go and returning to a PLACE that holds so many memories.  I am overwhelmed, excited, anxious, nervous and happy at the thought of returning to where I served my mission.  Those 18 months were...were...wow.  They just were.  Somethings can't come with a caption.  So here is to Boxes, and Memories and Stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment