Saturday, June 11, 2011

Stroopwaffels

First, I need to give a warning.  I haven't been able to change the setting on my computer to do spell check in English.  The computer thinks that I can't spell in Dutch and I know that I can't spell in English.  So read with caution and love me anyway.  Today Karina, Lara, Julia and I had a girls day out on the town.  It was of course raining when we left the house and made the trek to the tram.  As we walked through the tram doors Karina looked at me and asked if I felt like I needed to talk to someone - you know, do some contacting of the missionary sort.  I just laughed it off.  Well then I ended up sitting next this guy...He was talking to someone on his phone in Arabic.  When he hung up I couldn't help myself.  I asked him in Arabic where he was from.  His eyes got three sizes bigger and he answered that he was from Iraq.  We then had this hillarious conversation that was a crazy mix of Arabic, Dutch and English.  As I was leaving he asked for my number.  Don't worry dad, I didn't give it to him.  I should have gotten his and then sent the Elders his way!  

I love down town Den Haag.  It is beautiful and busy.  We made several stops.  It was crazy walking into some of these stores.  One of them was where we would print pictures off to send home, another is where I bought some Dutch books etc.  So many of them held memories.  I can't describe how fun it was to go through these places in JEANS!  There were no time restraints.  There was no pressure.  There were no people staring at my tag.  Do I sound evil for saying that?  Don't get me wrong.  I loved my mission and the tag.  But it was nice to just experience Den Haag. 

Part of that experience had to include Stroopwaffels!  Love them.  Missed them.  Today, I ate them!  Yes, I am eating a chunk of hair in this picture. I will blame it on the wind but the truth is that since I had to wait to eat my treat I had to eat something to hold me over.  Yeah, It is the giant thing in my hand.  It was still hot and burning my hand through the paper.  Goodness can hurt but oh was it delish!

The smells and sights were so familiar to me.  Sander (Karina's Hubby) asked me tonight at dinner what it was like to be back.  Weird isn't the right word.  Neither is strange.  It was just so, so good.  I have loved every second of it, thanks in large part, to the Koot family that I am staying with.  You will be hearing a lot about them in the future, but in the mean time, just know that they are 6 of the greatest blessings that this new life has offered.

1 comment:

  1. Domp, Thanks for writing like you talk. I feel less lonely for you when I read your blog and can practically hear your voice accentuated by your laugh. I am so glad you are happy there. And glad you ate your hair instead of munching on the kid...

    ReplyDelete