Today the Dutch celebrated the first day of Pentecost. And tomorrow they celebrate the second day of Pentecost. Who knew there were two days? They seem to like their vacations as much as we do and milk every holiday for all it's worth.
I was nervous about church today. It was my first Sunday back in the Netherlands. Would the members remember me? Would I be able to be myself? Would they understand me? Would they like me without my tag?
As usual my worries were a pointless waste of energy. It was an AMAZING day. Before, during and after church I had a constant stream of people coming to welcome me back and complement my Dutch (I'm not sure how deserving I was of that but it made me happy). Some of them remembered me by name, others remebered me but not my name. I was personally welcomed in Relief Society and Sacrament meeting and was led from one place to the next by thoughtful members. It was so good to be able to watch, listen and speak to people that I worked with five years ago. I was filled with an increase of love for them. I can't explain it. My spirit was bursting with love for these people; more so than I remember feeling even as a missionary. I understood almost everything and was uplifted by the messages. I hugged, smiled, reminist and laughed all day long. I really couldn't stop smiling. It was such a beautiful three hours. I felt so at home. I felt so loved. I felt at peace.
After church the Scherf family invited me over for lunch. It was wonderful to sit at their table again and to connect on a new level. We ate bread and cheese and Hagelslag (look it up, it is really good) and talked for hours. Their family is so strong and faithful. They are such good examples to me. It was so beautiful to see them sitting together earlier at church. When the table was cleared and the dishes were washed the kids headed outside and Zr. Scherf headed to the livingroom to talk with a friend. Brother Scherf and I spoke for a long time in the kitchen. There was a pause in the conversation and he pulled me into a huge bearhug. As we held each other tight he said, "you have no idea what you have done for our family." He thanked me and I thanked him. It was a moment that I will never forget. His voice was filled with pure sincerity. He has no idea what his family has done for me either. It was an incredibly spiritual moment to share together. The gospel binds you with people in such a special way. There is nothing else like it in this world.
I made it home just in time for a visit from the Sister Missionaries. They shared a wonderful message with Karina, Sander and I and then I was asked to say the closing prayer. It was the first time I'd prayed with sisters since my mission. Knowing how hard life can be on the mish made me pray even harder for them and their investigators. It was a gift to spend time with them.
Afterwards the three of us laid around and swaped stories. When Saunder had enough, Karina and I stayed up til 1:00 talking and listening to each others music. Have I mentioned how much I love them? Well, I do.
It being Pinksterdag and all, I've been thinking a lot about what an important day this is for the world and for me personally. The gift of the Holy Ghost is such an important gift. Without it I would never have gone on a mission, let alone moved back to where I served. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to have member of the Godhead with me all the time. I am grateful that he led me back to this beautiful land filled with these beautiful people.
No comments:
Post a Comment