I feel like I am doing one of the Franck Baby Workout moves (the "get avay" move to be exact) in the picture below instead of just doing the traditional hands up in the air move. But it's okay because I love that movie. Sorry folks, today i'm writing all over the place, which is normally what is really going on in my brain. I kind of bounce from one thing to the next. Deal with it (and while you're dealing with it, click on the Frank Baby Workout link).
You know those moments when you know it's time to leave and don't. Maybe it's because of the food or the friends or whatever. I was tired and ready to go and I put it off a little too long. I went to the tram stop and then got onto the tram that should have taken me all the way home. But did it? No, it did not.
5 stops down the tracks he stops and says, "hello." No answer, I was reading you see. "Hallo!! You have to get off here." I asked him when the route changed. He said that after 10:00pm, every night it changes (not all trams, just this one). Lovely thought I. So he told me which bus to take to get to the train station. Apparently I suck at listening to numbers or I heard him wrong or I just like to jump on the first bus that drives past me.
I get on. My card doesn't work. Lovely. I start chatting with the driver. How many stops to the station? Um, it doesn't go to the station. Lovely. So what should I do? I told him where I needed to go, he told me all of my options, all of which required several bus transfers and standing outside in the dark. Alone. Did I mention that I had no idea where I was?
I think that he saw the panic in my face. He told me to just ride the rest of his route (to a big bus/tram exchange hub) and then take a tram home from there.
For the first 20 minutes I watched the dark, rainy sky from the bus window.
Some of my thoughts:
Wow. That was really dumb.
Where the crap am I?
Hey that is a pretty house.
Where the crap am I?
I'm LOST! Followed almost immediately by the lyrics to Michael Bubles song, "Lost." You know that line in the song, "Babe your not lost." Yeah, wrong. I was so lost.
Then I thought:
What the heck am I doing here in Holland? What was I thinking?
This last thought of course was followed by a downward spiral of negativity and pessimism. Until I moved over and sat by the bus driver and we started chatting. We talked for the next 20 minutes and he told me how brave he thought I was to have moved here (it's a good thing that he wasn't able to hear the conversation that I'd just been having with myself). We talked about him and his family and life in general. It made the time go by quickly and allowed me to do something instead of feel sorry for myself.
At the end of the line he wouldn't let me pay for my bus ticket. He made sure I knew where I was before he left and that was that.
Sometimes we feel lost. Sometimes we have crappy days. Sometimes those are okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment