Yesterday I went to Haarlem to visit Mien and Gerard. They just celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary. Mien is loud, social and very chatty. Gerard is quiet and very sweet. She talked my ear off all day while he handed me ice cream, stroopwaffels and chocolate. They both have so much energy, you would never know that they are in their 70's. They like to laugh, enjoy the sunshine and know just about everyone in Haarlem. Their goal is to live until they are 100. You can't help but love them.
The trip to Haarlem was pretty typical. Walk to the Tram Stop: passed a ton of people walking their dogs (p.s. isn't it awkward when someones dog is taking a serious poop right as you're walking by?). Tram Ride to the Train Station: listened to the guy sitting behind me as he sang "Only Fools Rush In," Elvis style. Train Station: busy and of course, I missed my train by a few seconds. I waited for the next one. Train Ride: Read while the girl next to me sprayed her deodorant on, sneezed (scaring me to death, causing me to nearly pee my pants. Who knew such a small girl could sound like such a man?) and then proceeded to snort her snot the rest of the ride there. Bus Ride: Semi-nice driver and a super-nice view (not of the driver, the scenery).
I love love love Haarlem. It is beautiful and old and classy. It is big but has a small town feel. It is Europe at its best.
It was so fun seeing Mien and "G" again. We chatted over lunch and then biked into the town square. We spent the entire day roaming through streets and trying to take it all in. It was neat to be back there. Haarlem was the first city that I served in so it holds a lot of memories.
The problem with Haarlem is that you could take a picture anywhere in the city and it will turn out amazing. I kind of went crazy. I couldn't help myself. We strolled for hours. My camera and I were pretty beat when it was finally time to head home.
Care for a stroll with me? Great. Do you have everything you need? Lets Go!
You: Oh, finally we get to see this church from up close.
Me: I know right? You can see it from miles away.
You: It is even prettier up close.
Me: Agreed. Totally worth the windy bike ride.
You: Hey, what's up with all the tents in this huge courtyard?
Me: Oh, it's just the market. It is here every Saturday and Monday.
You: Dude, I don't think you were ready for that picture.
Me: Dude, maybe you should count to three next time and how 'bout you try to hold the camera straight while your at it. You know what? Never mind, I'll just take the picture.
You: Do they sell leggings here?
Me: You better believe it sister (or brother depending on who you are).
You: Good, I really need a pair of neon pink ones (hopefully you are "sister" if you are hoping to buy those). I also need cheese, sunglasses, tacky jewlry, a wallet, raw herring, toys, bread, produce, a dress, paintings and some fresh flowers.
Me: Don't you worry. They have it all. Let's start with the flowers.
Me: Okay. Hey, speaking of which, let's stop by the museum and laugh at the funny shoes that they used to wear hundreds of years ago.
Me: I'm always right and I'm always funny.
You: Is it okay if we just wander around for awhile?
Me: Heck yes. I love to wander.
You: Those pants look so comfortable. Do you think they sell them at the market?
Me: Yes and Yes.
You: Do you see that 90 year old man that is dressed like a woman? (yes, we really did see him/her, and yes we really did follow him/her)
Me: Yes and it is creeping me out.
You: I have a great idea. Let's follow her and see where she lives.
Me: Um, you're weird. But I'm glad we did. This is a beautiful area. So, would we have to dress up like men to live here?
You: It's not worth it. Let's just ride away from here as fast as we can on that super awesome scooter.
Me: Pretty sure that we can't go anywhere fast on that thing.
You: You're right, let's just run.
Me: That is better than your idea to dress up like men (or was that my idea?) so that we can live here. Hey, don't let a tennis shoe hit your head on the way out (Tennis shoes hanging out a window to dry, you may have to look really close to see them).
You: Where to next?
Me: How about that church way down there at the end of this street?
You: Can we go inside?
Me: Today we can. It has been closed for years and is finally opened now for two days a week for 4 months out of the year. Let's take a look.
You: This is nice. Don't trip over the uneven stones covering peoples graves under the floor.
Me: Hey thanks. Do you see that art display over in the left hand corner?
You: Huh, that's weird having art in a church. I wonder if it is religious art. I'm going to go take a closer look.
Me: Um, I don't think it is religious or art for that matter. What do you think it means?
You: I'm not going to even attempt. It doesn't deserve my critical thinking energy.
Me: I'm so over this. I'm outta here.
Me: Did you even bother to look up as you left? Cause wow.
You: They just don't build them like they used to (since when did you turn into a 79 year old?)
Me: Let's go this way...
You: Good choice. I think this road is going to take us to some cool sights.
Me: I know! Look at that!
You: Hey, there is Mien and "G."
Me: They said they are thirsty and want to take us to another church. The outside looks pretty normal to me.
Me: But it doesn't so much look like a normal church from the inside.
You: So you are telling me that this church has been totally renovated on the inside into a bar/restaurant?
Me: Yes. Mein wants some coffee, "G" wants some beer. I think I'll go for some hot chocolate. This is really strange.
You: I know but just smile for the camera as you ponder just how evil Satan is.
Me: This place is giving me the creeps. Let's get out of here. I think I still remember where we parked the bikes. They should be right next to the giant church back at the square.
You: What are all those people doing and looking at?
Me: That is one of my favorite things about Holland. It is usually raining so when it isn't, everyone heads to a cafe. There are only chairs on one side of the table...everyone sips on coffee and observes what is going on around them. If it gets really warm, a lot of the men will take their shirts off and fry while they eat and people watch. Isn't it great?!
You: Totally great. The only thing that could make this day any better is some vla.
Me: It's waiting for us at the house.
You: I hope they have this in heaven.
Me: Don't you worry friend, they will.
So this might possibly be the most annoying post ever. I'm sorry, I just really didn't want to spend the time describing everything. This way, you got a taste of what our stroll was like. Thanks for joining me. I enjoyed our day together immensely. I'll let you know when I'm ready to stretch my legs again. In the mean time, don't forget to look both ways before you cross and watch out for fat pigeons.
I know this post wasn't just for me but I pretended it was.
ReplyDeleteFor the record I read all the "YOU" parts out loud and pretended we were talking. I miss you. Thanks for the stroll.