Sunday, September 11, 2011

Notebooks

I was talking to a friend last night about different things that make me happy.  Of course there is a very long list of both big and little things but blank notebooks made the cut.  I love the emptiness of them.  I love the promise of future experiences that will eventually fill the pages.  I love that you can always think of Another reason to buy Another one.  But I think that the real reason that I love them is because I love new beginnings.  (PS: I hate that when I typed "notebook" into google pictures, the first 100 pictures were of computers.  I feel bad for you people.)


So like I said, new notebooks were on my list last night, but today I was going through an old notebook and realized that I like old ones too.  This notebook I am referring to was empty when I got here almost exactly 3 months ago. It was fresh and crisp and empty.  Now it is completely full.  The cover has fallen off.  The corners are bent and it smells like gum.  It has been with me almost everyday.  It is full of quotes, scriptures, notes, phone numbers, to-do lists, song titles, websites, bus schedules, confirmation numbers, kids doodles, my doodles, addresses, appointments, questions, random thoughts, important thoughts and notes describing moments that I don't ever want to forget.  It is full and I love it.


I feel like I am cheating on all of my empty notebooks.  But I just can't deny it anymore.  I like 'em empty and I like 'em full.  No, I can't commit to one over the other.  So now, when someone asks, I won't tell them that empty notebooks make me happy.  I'll just say notebooks in general make me happy.  Sorry I cheated.  Sorry I lied.

No comments:

Post a Comment