I was called to be the Young Womens President in the Den Haag Ward about one month ago. It is overwhelming and fun and scary and makes me happy. I got called just a bit before girls camp which was perfect timing. I had an entire week to really get to know the girls. We went for walks, did service, played games, ate junk food and stayed up late. Oh, and did some spiritual stuff too.
Girls Camp changed my life as a young woman. And it changed my life as an adult. Adult. Adult? When did that happen? It was fun going as a leader. And stressful. But I am so grateful for all the moments that I was able to share with the girls and the leaders.
Here is where we "camped." It felt a bit Parent Trapesque.
Here is a view from the inside of one of the huts. There were four bunk-beds in each one. We laughed a lot here. And I just may have cried too.
We were at a campground. Just behind our huts was this pond and zip-line. It was cold. The girls were tough. And it was here that one cell phone met its watery fate. Thankfully, it was not mine.
Games. We played cards and the cup game and made-up games.
One rainy night we gave each other manicures. I ended up with some pretty awesome purple nails. I felt hot and also felt the need to go stand on a corner.
Everyone was required to be a part of the Talent Show. Kim and I were the MC's for the night. I forgot my formal at home so I made one out of garbage bags. Quite stunning if you ask me.
A few of the girls dressed up like the Stake Leaders. They had a whole skit planned. Hilarious.
We drove out to a castle one of the days. It was big and beautiful and old. And for some reason I kept thinking of that Taylor Swift song.
This is the Stake YW's Pres. I learned so so much from her that week. She teaches with power and authority and love. She was happy and fun ALL week long. Oh man she works hard. Every night all the leaders would get together for a meeting. We would talk about everything that went right that day and would swap miracle stories. We also discussed concerns and what we could do to resolve them.
On the last night all the leaders stayed up for hours eating chocolate and sipping hot tea. We talked about the future of the church and what we can do to prepare the girls for it. I felt so blessed, so privileged to be in the presence of these strong women of faith. They inspired me. Their concern and hope and devotion was real. They take their callings seriously. It is a part of who they are. They give and pray and love and teach. It really was a marvelous experience. It was such a gift. I am learning so much from this calling - from the girls and from the women who stand by me with the same goal.
Here are a few of my girls. Well, some are mine, some are from another ward but I claim them too.
And here is the group shot. This is our stake. The girls and the leaders. Throughout the week I was filled with gratitude that I get to be here. I love these girls. I love where I am. I love that the Lord arranged all this for me. There is nowhere else that I would rather be. This feels like home to me. Of course home will always be where my family is. That will NEVER change. But right now, Heavenly Father has given me a second home. A place to love others and be loved. I have new friends and adopted family. I have two places I get to call home. Have I mentioned how much I love my girls?
No comments:
Post a Comment