Friday, August 19, 2011

Festinord

I finally made it to Sweden for the big singles conference there.  Festinord is a yearly event that brings hundreds of young LDS people from all over Europe to one place.  The location changes as do the activities but I am told that the feeling never does.

As I arrived at the school where everyone was registering I was overwhelmed by the sight before me.  People were running towards friends they hadn't seen for 12 months - dropping bags along the way to hug each other.  Everyone was so happy.

The week was full of workshops, sports, food and dances.  I met some amazing people.  Everyone was so kind but this girl, Catherina Hvistendhal was a favorite.

 

She is from Greenland.  Yes Greenland, that place covered in ice but not to be confused with Iceland which produces good looking men.  Actually, I must take this moment to say that Scandinavia has more beautiful people than any other region of the world.  Holy Cow.  There are no words...just drool.  Yeup, I had to wipe my mouth - many times.  In fact, I had to finally just put a bib on. 

Anyway, back to Catherina. Her family made up the entire branch in Greenland.  That's it.  Just them.  Her dad is the branch president.  They had church in their home every Sunday.  On fast sunday's they went around the room once then they were done.  Seriously, their faith in contagious.  They are my heros.  I can't imagine growing up in the church like that.  But yet she is one of the strongest person I know.  She was spiritual and fun and shared her testimony through her actions and her words.  I love her.

The last night was the big Oscars Night.  Several people had submitted short films to go along with the theme of the conference.  We all got dressed up and then walked down the red carpet.  They had a host and hostess for the night.  We watched several of the videos and ate popcorn.  They had performers and a whole program organized.  We all got to feel like stars for the night.  It was so fun!  I've been dodging the paparazzi ever since that night.

 

Apparently, I was already getting a little tipsy from the apple juice they were serving.  That is me and my friend Michelle from Denmark.  She is a convert - found the church through Catherina.



These guys won the best overall Oscar award.


This was their movie:  Click on the link.  Do it.  It is awesome.

This was part of the audience cheering for them.  There were over 600 peeps.  Awesome.


The entire week was so great.  I hardly got any sleep the entire week.  Everyone waits all year for this and no one wants to waste time sleeping.  Everyone wants to be together, even just to sit around and talk. 

I made some amazing friends.  They are all beautiful and strong.  It was a neat experience to feel love eminating from everyone there.  These people work hard at their faith.  They love it.  It is a part of them.  It affects everything.  I can't explain what it felt like to be with them.  It was special.  It was a slice of heaven pie.

On the very last night I ran into a group from the Netherlands.  The whole conference had been done in English since there were so many languages.  I had been speaking only English for a week straight.  I can't explain it but when I finally ran into this group I was so so happy.  It felt so good to hear Dutch and to speak it again.  I didn't realize how much I'd been missing it.  I love Dutch.  I love Dutch people.  I love that I get to be here right now.


1 comment:

  1. OH HOW I HAVE MISSED YOUR BLOGS!! THANKS FOR STARTING UP AGAIN! HOW ARE YOU FEELING? ARE YOU DOING BETTER? I MISS YOUR FACE!!

    ReplyDelete