Monday, August 15, 2011

The Swiss

Three weeks ago I started 21 days of travel, adventure, camping and sleep deprivation!  My first trip was to Sweden.  This blog is dedicated to my journey there rather than the conference itself.

I decided to go just a few days before I needed to be there.  Monday I packed like a crazy person.  Karina and Sander had left the house carrying with them my house key (are you sensing the dramatic build-up?)  Karina was planning on playing with the kids at Ikea while Sander headed to a job interview.  I was running late.  I grabbed all my stuff, drug it to the tram stop and waited as the minutes ticked by.  Finally I got on the tram that would take me to the train that would take me to the airport that would take me to the airport that would take me to the bus that would take me to another bus that would take me to the conference. Got it?  So here I was at step one of one hunded when I realized I'd forgotten the thing you should never forget.  Yeup, this little baby.


I totally panicked.  My heart dropped as I realized that I probably just destroyed my trip and wasted all of my money.  How can you forget your passport?  Okay, so I'm not going to answer that question.  I stepped off the tram and crossed over to catched the tram to take me back home.  I called Karina totally devistated.  She is officially the person that I want to talk to if there is ever an intense situation.  She calmed me down immediately, made a phone call and then called me back.

Sander had rescheduled his interview and was on his way to pick everybody up.  Yes, they love me just that much.  They gave up an interview and meatballs for me.  I cried.  They came flying around the corner 20 minutes later.  They emptied out of the car, I got my passport, then Sander drove me to the airport.  I chose not to look at the speedomiter.  His new name is Speed Racer.  I ran through the airport and made it.  I made it!  I shouldn't have, but I did.  All because some great people and broken laws.

I went to Sweden by way of Switzerland.  Explain that to me.  Here were my first views of the land of watches, knives and chocolates. 






I landed just as the sun was going down.  My flight to Sweden didn't leave til the following morning.  They had a ton of stores in the airport.  I shopped and ate.  Then I found some amazing A-May-Zing chocolate and a comfy corner.  (no I didn't eat it all in one setting though I could have and was tempted to)


I was one happy girl...until the tiredness crept in.  I layed down on a bench and kind of slept for the next 6 hours.  It was more like listening to music and dozing while cleaners and kids walked by.  The bench was hard enough that I had to keep rotating.  I kind of felt like a rotisserie chicken.

My time in Switzerland was short but I think I liked it.  A few things I noticed while there...

1. Their womens bathroom signs were a lot more modest than most. Is it just me or is this dress longer than any other bathroom sign you have ever seen?  Maybe the woman is just taller, making an optical illusion...


2. Their chocolate...oh, their chocolate.  Can't you just hear a heavenly choir of angels singing when you look at this? Okay, so Toblerone isn't my favorite but it is so big and shiny.


3. The following is probably the grossest thing I've taken a picture of but I had to.  Look how brillant the Swiss are.  They have a handy little foot pedal to flush with.  I love them for their acknowledgement of my germaphopiness.


Thank you Switzerland.  I loved that you served me sandwiches on the flight followed by a chocolate bar, my first real taste of heaven, the beginning of my addiction.  I hope to see you again soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment