Sunday, September 18, 2011

Wannabe

So maybe I'm just a terrible person but this morning did not start out super awesome like a Sunday should.  I wish I could say that I woke up before my alarm, listened to some MoTab, read my scriptures and a few conference talks, cooked a nice healthy breakfast, visited a lonely old person and pondered the meaning of life all before going to church.  I wish I could and I guess I could but I would be lying and I try to avoid that at all times...especially on Sundays.

The real version of my story is more like this:  My alarm goes off.  I hit the snooze button.  Snooze button Again.  Shut alarm off.  Groan.  Sigh.  Fall back asleep.  Groan.  Whine.  Dress.  Whine.  Ponytail.  Whine.  Wipe off the mascara from under my eyes (yes, I recycled my makeup from yesterday in case that was unclear).  Whine.  Scarf down bread with hagelslag.   


Church ended up being really nice as it usally is.  I don't know why I woke up with an "I hate the world attitude," but I did.  Luckily, I didn't bite, kick, or kill anyone.  I thought about it.  But I didn't.  Too many witnesses.  Anyways, my friend Wendy was visiting our ward with her boy Sam today.  We all went home and hung out.  It was super chill.  We sprawled out on the couch, chatted and ate.  After Wendy and Sam left I took a nap.  Which is ALWAYS a good thing.  Snooze.  Weird dreams.  Snooze.  More weird dreams.  Up.


I'd left my purse somewhere and I needed to go pick it up. (Yes mom, I'm sorry.  You taught me better.  But hey, they trust me with their kids, I should probably be able to trust them with 5 Euros right?)  I wasn't really feelin' a bike ride.  I told Sander that I'd take over his dish duties for the night if he would drive me.  We were both happy with the agreement.  Until we got in the car and my day was made.  I would have offered to do dishes for a week had I only known...

Do you know what happened on June 7, 1996?  It was the day that "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls was released.  Yes folks.  Are the memories coming back?  School dances, car rides, sleepovers, talent shows?  It was a number one hit in over 30 countries.  If you are dying for more info, check out Wikipedia.


We get in the car and Sander pops a CD in.  THE cd.  I didn't see the cover, I didn't need to.  All I needed to hear was those high heels clicking at the very beginning, before the song even started and it all came back to me.  I mean ALL.  As in EVERY word.  Sander and I danced and sang the whole song word for word.  How does your brain do that?  I hadn't heard that song in YEARS. Years.  And it made my day.  Thanks Sander for your excellent DJ skills.  I can't tell you how happy it made me hearing you belt out Spice Girls lyrics and seeing some of your killer dance moves.  You rock.  Okay, so it wasn't MoTab.  Are all of you out there judging me right now?  I hope the video posted below will prevent you from doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment