Sometimes my thoughts trip over my face on their way out of my mouth. And just like with most trips: it can be hard to recover, back track or look graceful.
So I was on a date with this guy (not the guy pictured above) in the Navy when I was living in Rhode Island. He was cute. And sometimes he wore a uniform. Yes. He Did. We went bowling (no, he left the uniform at home for this activity) and we were having a ton of fun. I realized I'd left my camera in the car so he walked outside with me to get it. I tripped over a curb (I say that but actually, I think that I just caught the toe of my shoe on perfectly flat ground) and my world turned slow motion. I let out a scream, swung my arms helicopter style and then ran to try and have my feet catch up with my head that was getting ready to make a nose dive. By so doing, I only made things worse.
I am laughing really hard right now and am getting a little embarrassed just thinking about how ridiculous I looked. I fell. And I fell hard. Like, "tore my pants and my hands bled," hard. He was super sweet about the whole thing, picked me up off the ground and brushed the dirt off. And at the end of the night, he asked me out again (maybe he just felt sorry for me).
I didn't really have to go clear back to Rhode Island Days to find a good trip story. I have tripped a lot in my life and I still continue to do so. Yes, I am a klutz but I tend to trip the worst over words rather than objects.
Words are really just symbols and sounds for what we are thinking or feeling or both. They allow us to connect with people and understand each other. Except when they don't and we can't because sometimes, words only get in the way.
I hate how what we want to say gets destroyed sometimes by trying to say it. As grateful as I am for words, sometimes, I really hate them. I wish that what I was thinking and feeling could just be boxed, wrapped and handed to someone with a pretty bow on top.
Since that really isn't an option, we are forced to try to express ourselves in imperfect ways, often tripping and falling a long the way. I don't like deceiving people as much as I don't like being deceived. I don't like hurting people and I don't like getting hurt. I don't like confusing people and I don't like being confused. I try to explain what I mean but in so doing, my explaination sometimes loses it's meaning. And thus - sometimes I Deceive, Hurt and Confuse people when those things are NEVER my intention.
Okay, I could go on about this forever. You get what I mean. See, I told you, sometimes, words just get in the way.
So I just want to say Thank You. Thank You for listening to me even when I don't make any sense. Thank You for reading between the lines (or between the pauses). Thank You for giving me the benifit of the doubt. Thank You for granting me more understanding than I can give you. I'm sorry for the times when my thoughts trip over my mouth or over my keyboard on their way out. Thank you for being like Navy boy and always giving me a second chance. Thank You for loving me anyway. Thank You for showing me that you love me in not so many words.


No comments:
Post a Comment