Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Syria

Living so far north in Jordan means living amongst Syrian refugees.  I have met and worked with some of the faces behind the conflict.  I have heard some of their stories and they keep me awake at night.  I am amazed by the strength and compassion that I have seen.

Two Syrian families invited me over to their home to have dinner with them.  We had such a nice evening together.  It was a beautiful experience to sit in a circle on the floor and share a meal together.


Afterwards I played with the kids and helped them with some of their homework.  Not all of them go to school because of the transportation fees and several other barriers.  They are great kids who have dealt and continue to deal with so much.  Both of the fathers of these families are still in Syria.



 Niki and I went with the girls to a play awhile back.  It was about Syria and done by Syrian children.  There was no script, only music and acting.  And it was really hard to watch.  At a certain point in the play there was a family standing in front of a backdrop with a photographer taking their picture.  After each camera flash one of the members of the family disapered from the shot.  The once happy and large family transformed.  The last picture captured a devestated mother with her last living child. 

 

 

I have spoken with mothers who have lost everything and everyone.  I have spoken with fathers who are now trying to care for children who were injured in the conflict.  When we only have the news and the numbers and the analysis it has a way of erasing the individual. 

I don't pretend to be a politititan, an activist or even someone who has a firm understanding of what is happening accross the border.  But I do think that it is important to not lose sight of the one.  The clips of explosions and protests can rob the victems of what this war has done to them on a personal level.

We would be consumed and depressed if we allowed all of the violence, evil and heartache to fill our thoughts all the time.  But I think that it is important to put ourselves in someone elses shoes.  To become more compassionate.  More kind.  More grateful.  More aware.

Save the Children developed a video that shows what it would be like if what is happening in Syria were to happen in London.  It shows one year in a young girls life in just a minute and a half video.  She goes from living a comfortable, middle-class life to living as a refugee.  It gives perspective and makes things personal.  Can you imagine if this was happening in the United States?


It is estimated that this war has killed over 100,000 people and left over 2 million as refugees.  These numbers increase daily.  I don't know exactly what to do with that information or how to deal with it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment