Saturday, June 15, 2013

The New Old Job

I started a new job back in November.  Did I already tell you that?  I work at a non-profit organization that was created to help refugees.  I love the people that it has brought into my life.

The Staff
 
Therese (Executive Director) Neven (Volunteer) Fatima (Youth Coordinator) & Me



Sahib (Employment Coordinator/Tea Maker).
We are coworkers and friends and therapists and taxi drivers.
 

I am surrounded by sadness and loss and confusion and fear every day.  But I am also surrounded by hope and happiness and relief and love.  The community I serve has come from tragic and horrific circumstances.  Without minimizing these things I try to help them see the good and find happiness.  There are days when I feel like I am failing.  But then there are days when I walk in and find this:

A white board that I use to ask each of the women what made them happy during the week. Someone had filled in the blank so that it read, "you made me happy this week Lindsey."


I LOVE the families that I serve.  They have taught me so much about compassion and faith and kindness.  I have watched them pray with and for each other.  I have watched them mourn and cry together.  I have mourned and cried with them.  They have welcomed me into their homes and into their lives. 



 
 






I feel so blessed.  Heavenly Father has prepared me for this job in a thousand and one ways.  It has been really special to look back at my life and see how He put things in motion starting years and years ago.  I love these people.  I am so grateful to see the hand of the Lord working in my life.  It has helped me to remember that just because I don't understand why some things happen, He does.  He has his reasons.  He sees the big picture.  I will forever be thankful that these wonderful people were in the picture that He framed for me eons ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment