I am going to admit something. I am just going to throw it out to the big wide world that is The Web. I love Hallmark movies. I Do. Especially the Christmas ones. Double especially if I get to watch them at home, with my mom, by the Christmas Tree while eating popcorn and sipping on hot chocolate.
Are they predictable? Cheesy? Sometimes (often) awkward? Yes, yes and oh yes. But they are also clean, inspiring and wonderful.
To the haters out there I will admit that at times the acting and the script can be a tad painful. But there are so many redeeming qualities. For instance:
When I finish watching one I don't feel yucky or angry or raw.
The name of God is used in reverence rather than in rage.
They celebrate the family.
There are high morals: chaste kisses and no bedroom scenes.
The endings are happy. Some may argue that the endings are too perfect, too happy. Is there really such a thing as too happy? Okay, so there was that one girl that I occasionally wanted to slap. But normally, I would say no, there is not such a thing as too happy. I know that all endings in real life aren't happy (and that most endings are often just new beginnings) but there are enough sad things in this world.
I know that porn and drugs and dishonesty and cursing and hate are out there. But that is exactly where I want it to stay. OUT. Out of my house. Out of my mind.
The majority of entertainment teeters on the edge or has already made the jump and is on a nose dive with a course headed straight to... to a bad place. The standards have evolved from white to cream to grey to black.
I believe in God and true love and honesty and innocence and family and friends and morals. I believe in happy endings. I believe that awkward moments often times lead to the best moments (or at least the most memorable). Most of the world would call me a prude. I'm okay with that.
So Hallmark, I tip my hat to you and your cheesy one liners and terrible special effects. Thanks for keeping your standards high (referring to morals more so than cinematic perfection. I can't be too critical in that department because heaven knows I have let way too many cheesy one liners pop out and the best special effects I bring to the table consist of bubbles and duct tape (usually not simultaneously)). Thanks for not jumping off the cliff.



No comments:
Post a Comment