Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Buru


January: I sold my car.  My Buru. THE Buru (pronounced boo-rue).  We’ve been through a lot together.  I had her for 6 years.  She never broke down - I did more than once as we drove together.  She had over 160,000 miles and except for a few endearing rattles, you would never know it. She wasn't very pretty to look at but I loved her (Do people describe me that way?).

We covered a lot of ground together.  I bought her in the Summer of 2007.  That first night I took her on a bunch of dirt roads to see what she could handle.  She never backed down from an adventure. 
Our first big trip took us to Logan where I studied for two summer terms.  Fun memories of chasing storms up the canyon, becoming a True Aggie, food fights and weird roommates.
Next we went to Rexburg, Idaho together.  Apart from a desperate escape to Wyoming, a few bonfires, and driving to work our days there were pretty calm.  Cold.  But Calm.  Best roommates, and the apartment that was Always Full of fun, food and people. 

She patiently sat at my parents for four months while I spent a semester in Israel.  It's a good thing that she wasn't the jealous type.
I folded the backseats down yet again for yet another move.  This time to Provo Utah.  Have I mentioned that she always fit everything, every time?  She was magical like that.  I lived in a total of 3 different apartments in Provo, 4 if you count the house I lived in for 3 days (that is another story for another day).
She sat at my parents for another four months while I spent a semester in Florida with my sister and her family.  Best Semester of my Life.  

She ran like a charm when I came home.  I loaded her again for my Last semester at BYU.  I finally graduated and drove back home in that car.  Finally. FINE-A-LEE!!!! I was tempted to wear my blue graduation gown all the way home and throw my cap out the window somewhere around Filmore.  I was tempted.  But I didn't.  Instead I spent the first half of the drive pondering my crazy life and the second half singing along to the radio at the top of my lungs.  I. WAS. DONE.
All kinds of people and things have filled her seats.  Memories are crammed into every corner and airspace.  She served as my moving truck 9 times. We never got in an accident.  She was the best car.  And I sold her. 

The sad thing is - I sold her thinking that I would be moving back to the Netherlands for a year or two.  Well, things haven't exactly panned out how I thought they would.  I'm still in the process of re-panning.   Thank heavens I have parents who give me rides and let me borrow their cars.  But I must say - I feel like I am in Middle School all over again.  Not that I didn't love it.  But I just never wanted to relive the carless days of my youth.  .
She was adopted by a sweet older couple that love her and probably treat her better than I ever did.  I bet she is enjoying weekly baths.  She never was that spoiled with me. 

Thanks for all the memories Buru! 

No comments:

Post a Comment