What started out as a quest to find my high school diploma ended up being a road trip to my past. I have a memory box filled with well, memories. For the most part it stays at the bottom of a pile in the dark corner of my parents basement. But every once in awhile the lid comes off and the memories come out. I sat down and sifted through pictures, notes, yearbooks, stuffed animals, shirts, journals and other nic nacks that are part of the "Me Puzzle."
Most of the trinkets were from my High School Glory Days. I laughed. I cried. I blushed. I sang. For about three hours I relived my youth. The following day I entered the doors of Cedar High to pick up a transcript. They have added on to the building. Half of it is old and unchanged - that's the part that I remember. The other half is new and still smells like fresh paint.
That is true of me too. Parts of me have stayed the same - Hopefully those things that should not change. Those halls shaped me in a lot of ways. But over the last 10 years since I walked out of that school for the last time, new things have been added to me (and I'm not just talking about the pounds) and to my life.
I had no idea what the future held for me when I stood and gave my graduation speech to my classmates back in 2002. I thought that I had it all figured out standing there in my Cap and Gown. I was grown up. I was going to go out and conquer the world. But life never turns out how you plan. It is full of unseen twists and turns. I could never have dreamed up where I would be, where I am today. I am really grateful for that.
I am also grateful for the lessons that I learned in the dusty old halls of Cedar High. I found a journal that captured the events of my Senior Year. I will spare you all of the long, boring, boy filled details. But I do want to include here parts of a list that I made the day I graduated.
What I Learned in High School:
People Change
Work hard at whatever you do
Go to class but ditch once in awhile
Be on teachers good side
The "in" crowd isn't always the right crowd
Don't be afraid to talk to someone you don't know
Drivers-ed is worthless
A smile is sometimes all it takes
Confidence is important
Don't say yes when what you really mean is no
Being surrounded by people doesn't mean you can't feel alone
Gossip hurts
Eat breakfast
Try new things
Respect everyone
Sleep in once in awhile
Dance
Sing
Be you
Have a planner
Family is always there for you
Reach people
Trust
Love
Learn
Be daring
Reach outside yourself
Befriend the friendless
Accept when you are wrong
Complement others
Don't be ashamed of who you are and what you stand for
Sometimes sorry isn't enough
People will try to rationalize - Don't be fooled
Always keep a clear conscience
Rise above
You can never have too many hoodies
Tell the truth, even when it doens't seem to matter
It is okay to express your feelings
Laugh
Be kind
It's okay to cry
Flirt
Forgive
People make mistakes, love them anyway
Ask your parents what they think
Go for drives
I summarized my High School experience in my journal: "It is four years that change you. I always wished that someone would give me a book that had what I would learn, what I would do, where I would go etc. But life isn't like that...High School is tough filled with the challenges of finding who you are, who your real friends are and what you are really made of. It is a time of big decisions, tough classes and great friends. It is where I have grown the most. I learned who I was and what I stand for. I decided Heavenly Fathers way was more important and more real thatn the worlds way. People may not like you because of what you believe but it doesn't matter. A beautiful life in eternity is far greater than a life of fake, cheap happiness."
I loved my high school experience. There were some hard times but there were also some great times. I loved that phase of my life but I am grateful that it is over. Sometimes, when I close my eyes I can still picture the classrooms, the teachers, the students, the dances, the fun, the adventure, the heartache, the excitement and the fear of high school. I loved it but I love that it is over. I love that I have been able to take those priceless lessons and apply them to "the real world." I've changed in a lot of ways but hopefully, I've stayed the same in the things that matter most.
I'd say that I had my fair share of nostalgia for one day thank you very much. So now, here is some for you:

No comments:
Post a Comment