Sunday, November 20, 2011

General Conference

I love General Conference.  For two days, two times a year, in two hour segments we get to hear from the Prophet, Apostles and other leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  They are called by God and it is through them that I hear His voice.

On the Friday before conference we had our Young Womens Activity.  Three great men in our ward agreed to be ancient prophets for an evening.  They all really got into character.  We all laughed and learned together.



Helen told us all about President Monson and his childhood.  It was so wonderful to hear about his life.

Later, we discussed the following quote from Elder Holland (describing what can take place during conference):

"If we teach by the Spirit and you listen by the Spirit, some one of us will touch on your circumstance, sending a personal prophetic epistle just to you."

How can you not say WOW when you read that?  At the end of the night each of the girls received a journal and pen so that they could write down their very own "personal prophetic epistle" that would be delivered to them that weekend.  

The next morning we all got together at a great ward members home and had an Amazing American Breakfast.  Cooked by yours truly and a handful of wonderful leaders that I am blessed to work with.  It turned out so good (if I say so myself).

A group of the girls all biked there together.  Not even a flat tire stopped them!  They are my heroes.




After breakfast we headed inside.  All the girls lined up on the couches, pulled out their journals and "tuned in" to conference.  I think that I watched them more than I did conference itself.  Okay, that sounded creepy.  I am just so proud of them.  They were in the right place at the right time, doing the right things.  I love these girls.  They are such great examples to me. Look at how into it they were.  I couldn't help but glance over at them occasionally...




EVERY time I listen to conference I am uplifted.  EVERY time I have received counsel from heaven.  EVERY time it has changed my life.

I was able to watch all of the sessions with so many people that I love.  The first with all of the Young Women.  The second and third with my Helen.  Yes I say "my" but she is actually married, has kids and is pregnant... I am so grateful for our friendship.  She has no idea how much she has influenced my life and how much I love her.  The fourth session I watched with Karina and Sander.  It was so great to share those moments with them.

I needed this conference as I have all of the previous ones.  I came into it unsure of what to do about so many things.  I left knowing exactly the steps that I needed to take.  My legal documents were taking longer than expected.  Lots of paperwork and lots of hoops.  The answer came.  Go home for a few months while it is all being processed.  This was the Lords solution not mine.  If it had been left up to me I would have tried to just stick it out.  But His plan is SO much better.  Everything is worked out.  The paperwork continues and in the meantime I get to hang out with my family for the holidays!  Best Christmas Present EVER!

"As our conference comes to a close, I ask you to reflect in the days ahead not only on the messages you have heard but also on the unique phenomenon that general conference itself is—what we as Latter-day Saints believe such conferences to be and what we invite the world to hear and observe about them. We testify to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people that God not only lives but also that He speaks, that for our time and in our day the counsel you have heard is, under the direction of the Holy Spirit, “the will of the Lord, … the word of the Lord, … the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation (An Ensign to the Nations. Elder Holland April 2011)."

No comments:

Post a Comment