Karina and I took the oldest three kids and braved the three hour trip to be a part of the days activities. Together, we tried taking in the scenery wizzing past us. Then gave up, got out and breathed it in for ourselves.
We finally arrived at the site where there is a monument marking its significance. There was a large group gathered there for the service. It was simple and special just like that first baptismal service must have been.
It was one of the most beautiful places I've been to. Part of it had to do with the farmland and tiny cottages and of course, the windmills. But I think that half of what made it so beautiful was knowing what took place there.
I couldn't help but think of the first missionaries to the area and what it was like for them 150 years ago. I wondered how different it was from what it was like for me 5 years ago. They didn't have church buildings, local leadership or a temple... or any members for that matter. I can't imagine how overwhelming it must have been. I am so grateful for the sacrifices they made. I am grateful for their faith and for the faith of those early Dutch pioneers.
I ran into several people that I know. Some of them are new friends, some I've known for years. It was neat to catch up with them and feel a Part of the saints here in this Part of the world.
We headed home as the sun was setting. It couldn't have been a better day.
The ride home was much more quiet than the ride there.
With one exception:
No comments:
Post a Comment