Sunday, September 28, 2014

Ramadan

July: Ramadan.

A month long fast from sun up to sun down.  Store hours change.  Driving gets even crazier.  The days get quieter and the nights louder.  You can be arrested for eating or drinking out in public (including in your car).  It is a really unique time.  Every evening, Muslim families gather together to pray and break their fast together.  One of the nights I was able to join a family for their Iftar Meal. 

They prayed together, specifically praying for those in harms way in Gaza.  They prayed for peace.  They prayed for greater faith.  It was a prayer full of gratitude and thanksgiving. 

And then came the food.

So So GOOD.  And so so much.  But before you dig into the meal, you eat a date/dates and drink some water or Tamr Hindi.  I drank a lot of this juice throughout Ramadan.  Street vendors sell it in plastic bags on the street throughout the entire month of Ramadan.

 

And the dessert after dinner: Qatayef.  Oh man. Delish.  They are made out of these small pancake like pastries.





They are filled with anything you want either sweet or savory.  Usually cheese or nuts or cream or all of the above.  Then they are deep fried (usually) or baked.  And finally, the are smothered in a sweet syrup.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I got lucky because the woman who made them at the family gathering I went to (about 45 people) is famous for them.


I admire the Muslims and their strong faith.  I can't image fasting for a month straight!  I am glad that I was able to be here in Jordan during a Ramadan to really see and experience it... and of course to TASTE it!


No comments:

Post a Comment