In early January of 2008 I boarded a plane and started a life changing journey. I lived and studied in Jerusalem for four months and this was the view from my classroom, dorm room, cafeteria and chapel:
It was an experience that changed the course of my life in so many ways. I remember sitting outside the night before we had to leave. It was dark but the city was all lit and alive. I just stared and reflected and prayed and thanked and rejoiced and mourned. The next morning as everyone was packing up I snuck out for one last glance and one more prayer. It was one filled with gratitude and awe. And then I remember saying, I'll come back here one day and when I do, I'll be able to communicate with the people here. I made promises. I took a deep breath and then I climbed the stairs of the bus.
(The Jerusalem Center in the background)
That Lindsey had NO IDEA what events were already in motion that would bring me back to the place that moved me and changed me so profoundly. Fast-forward with me through 6 years.
Pubic Health. Middle Eastern Studies. Arabic. Iraqi Refugee Student Researcher. Women's Program Coordinator of the Iraqi American Society for Peace and Friendship. Amman, Jordan. Arabic. Al Husn, Jordan. Jordanian Young Women.
And then one dream vacation back to the place that started it all.
It was surreal being in Jerusalem. We started our day walking along the wall that surrounds the Old City. I couldn't stop smiling. The sights and smells were so familiar and bought back floods of memories.
There were a few close calls with Hyrum and the monster bag but everyone came out unscathed!
Yeup, it is real people. I was really there. I really got to go back!
Next, we braved Hezekiah's Tunnel.
We got up early before church the next day and headed to The Garden Tomb. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect.
The stones in front of the tomb are super uneven. This is one of my favorite warning signs.
And I felt evil for laughing at such a special place but I couldn't help it.
Mainly, because that person flying through the air is usually me.
Church is at the Jerusalem Center. I can't describe how special it was to walk through those gates and into that courtyard again. There is such an incrediblel feeling at the Center. I took a deep breath and slowed my steps and took it all in. Finally, we walked through the front door and down the stairs into the auditorium. As I tried taking it all in, I felt a little piece of my heart fell back into place.
After church I was able to wander around the center and take in that old familiar view. The flowers were all out as we walked around the grounds and I can't explain how happy it made me to be there.
After church I was able to wander around the center and take in that old familiar view. The flowers were all out as we walked around the grounds and I can't explain how happy it made me to be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment